Circuit Board corrosion

Jim Mullen jmullen at ROCKYS.COM
Mon Dec 8 17:43:11 EST 2003

With the great variety of non-metallic polishing pads out there I would
opt for one of those rather than steel wool. I'll bet if you check by
your kitchen sink you'll find a handy little sponge with a Teflon pot
scrubber on the back. Probably do a nice job and you don't have to worry
about little pieces of conductive steel wool hanging around and rusting.

Also, in most hardware/paint stores 3M (and others) make finishing pads
for different surfaces (metal, wood) etc. Usually used when sanding wood
surfaces before using acrylic sealers (again because of the rusting
qualities of steel wool).

What ever method you use, simply wash and rinse the board and let it dry
- you should be in good shape. Enjoy your kit!

Jim, KK1W

-----Original Message-----
From: Heathkit Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV] On Behalf Of Wayne
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2003 4:23 PM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Re: Circuit Board corrosion

Jim,

I have used very fine steel wool to remove oxidation from PC board
traces - it works very well, and does not damage the board.

Be sure to use #0000 steel wool for this - don't rub too hard, just
polish the copper traces lightly until the oxide has been removed and
the copper shines.  Before you continue the assembly of the kit, go over
the board with a magnet to make sure that no steel wool particles are
left on.

Should be like new when you're done!

Regards,

Wayne