HP-23 upgrade

MIKE BRYCE prosolar at SSSNET.COM
Fri Dec 12 00:29:46 EST 2003

the upgrade will not and does not change the power being supplied by the
hp23.

before the upgrade, you get 700 volts at 250 ma, and after the upgrade you
will get 700 volts at 250 ma.

the only way to get more power is to redesign the transformer or install
another (different) transformer.

you can get a tad more power out of the one that is in the stock supply by
removing the filament load and moving that load to a separate filament
transformer.

the hp23 upgrade did the following:

replaced the old can type capacitors with high temp state-of-the art
capacitors.

increase filter capacitance by using high 220mf, vs 150 mf capacitors

reduced bleeder current

changing the bleeder resistors to flameproof types

adding an adjustable bias control

adding more capacitance and "hail mary" resistor to the low (+300) supply

increasing the diodes from 1 amp to 1.5 amp at 1000 volts

adding the ability to install a +300 volt regulator

and putting the wholeshebang on one double sided pc board

but the bottom line is still this.

it's 700 volts at 250 ma

Mike Bryce, WB8VGE
SunLight Energy Systems