beeswax vs candle wax

Kevin J Ward kevin_ward at JUNO.COM
Mon Feb 3 19:55:06 EST 2003

One of the guys wrote to ask me what the difference was between beeswax
and candle wax.  I think it's important enough to repeat for the list, so
here goes.

Beeswax is the stuff bees make their honeycombs out of  -  literally.
Candle wax is solid paraffin - a hydrocarbon of the methane series.  It
is made from paraffin oil, which is obtained from petroleum.  Beeswax
will remain solid at higher temperatures than will paraffin, and when
solid is harder than paraffin.  Paraffin could soften and run out of the
coil if your vacuum tube rig gets really hot.  Then the slugs would be
free to move and throw the alignment out of whack.

Kevin  N2IE