Power supply question

Eric Pierce eric_pierce at SYMPATICO.CA
Sat Feb 8 19:23:45 EST 2003

IMHO:

1) Many switching power supplies need a MINIMUM amount of current drawn
to work, some will not even start up without a load. 10% of full output
is a good rule of thumb.

2) How are you going to "divide" the voltage to get 23.7 and 13.8? If
you use some kind of resistive voltage divider then there will not be
any regulation, the output will only be right for one specific output
current. If you are going to design some kind of active regulator, then
you are in for almost as much work as if you build a power supply from
scratch.

Good luck

Eric  VA3EP
www.thirdpla.net

-----Original Message-----
From: Heathkit Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV] On Behalf Of Fred Wittman
Sent: Saturday, February 08, 2003 4:30 PM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Power supply question

OK, dumb question time again...

I've found a 48v/10A switching power supply, in theory, I can divide the
output to give me the 23.7v and 13.8v needed for various Heathkit
applications. Is there something I need to know about using a switching
power supply for these vintage applications (beyond current
considerations)?  Thanks in advance.

73 - Fred W.  KG6NYK