How do you tell PNP from NPN

Mark Graalman WB8JKR wb8jkr at JUNO.COM
Thu Feb 13 20:35:15 EST 2003

  Dan,

 The case/lead orientation has nothing to do with that.
 I think the easiest way would be to take a VOM that
has enough voltage at its terminal to activate a junction,
verify the + lead of the VOM is indeed + then connect the+
lead to the collector, the - lead to the emitter, connecting
another clip lead from the collector to the base should cause
the transistor to turn on indicating a low resistance IF its a NPN
device.
 If not, then connect the VOM - lead to the collector, the + lead
to the emitter, and a clip lead from the collector to the base
should turn it on if its a PNP device.

73,  Mark  WB8JKR
 .