How do you tell PNP from NPN

David Hollander n7rk at COX.NET
Thu Feb 13 22:48:07 EST 2003

Hi Dan - Assuming it has a part number, why don't you look it up on the
internet. If it doesn't have a part number, their is no guaranty that it
is a transistor. It could be dual diode, SCR, TRIAC and maybe even a 3
terminal regulator, especially if it is in a TO-220 package. I am
assuming you don't have a databook. I have been able to find info on
many obsolete silicon transistors going back to the 1970's on-line and
even some old Germanium's. Basic specs and even data sheets on many
Having been in the transistor biz, their are and were hundreds of
different base diagrams. If you have a part number and can't find it on
the internet, e-mail me the number and I may be able to help.

Dave N7RK
27 years in the transistor and diode biz at Motorola Semiconductor
(R.I.P.) and now laid off!

Dave  N7RK                    http://members.cox.net/n7rk
Phoenix, Arizona         *DXCC Honor Roll*    *WAZ#23 - 75 Meter SSB*

            ex-XE2/N7RK, N7RK/ZB2, VK2ERK, ZM0AJN, WB6NRK, WN6IWX

Boatanchor Collector Extraordinaire preferring Hallicrafters, National
and what ever else looks interesting!