HD-10 Keyer

Joe Hutchens Wj5mh at AOL.COM
Sun Feb 16 20:54:33 EST 2003

Recently, I've started to have a very intermittent problem with my HD-10.
Sometimes the dots will be sent as dashes.   It's almost as if the dash
paddle is being hit, but I've monitored the dash paddle with a voltmeter, and
it is not going to ground.   However, it is dropping about 1 volt.

In the standby mode, the dash paddle is about 12.5 volts.   The dot side is
11.9 volts.   When the dash paddle is hit, the dash paddle voltage, of
course, drops to zero and the dot side drops to about .7 volts because of D1.

When the dot paddle is depressed, it goes to zero, and the dash side goes to
about 8.5.   This voltage drops to about 7.5 when the problem happens.

The problem only occurs when I least expect it, so it's going to be difficult
to pin down.   It has just failed long enough for me to eliminate RFI, and
take a few voltage readings.   I suspect maybe Q6 (socket problem) or D1.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe (  WJ5MH )