SB-102 weak modulation

CyberGeezer cybergeezer74 at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 21 11:17:18 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eddy Swynar" <gswynar at DURHAM.NET>

> Those old Heath HC-6U crystals are rather notorious for
changing frequency
> over time. My former SB-400, after a long off-the-air
absence, developed
> weak, tinny-sounding audio on LSB---turns out that the
LSB generator crystal
> had, indeed, changed with age. A replacement crystal
brought it back to life
> in that mode...

My HW-101 has developed a problem where it looks like I'm
working "split" in CW mode.  This could very likely be due
to the CW crystal changing frequency.  (I have no means
for measuring its frequency.)  (The USB crystal seems to
be OK, at least relative to the LSB crystal.)

If I obtained a replacement, what assurance is there that
the replacement is on frequency, if they're notorious for
changing frequency?

73 de W2GERry