SB-102 weak modulation

Hallidy, Dave DHallidy at MICROWAVEDATA.COM
Fri Feb 21 16:51:35 EST 2003

Dave K2DH

-----Original Message-----
From: CyberGeezer [mailto:cybergeezer74 at HOTMAIL.COM]
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2003 11:17 AM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Re: SB-102 weak modulation

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eddy Swynar" <gswynar at DURHAM.NET>

> Those old Heath HC-6U crystals are rather notorious for
changing frequency
> over time. My former SB-400, after a long off-the-air
absence, developed
> weak, tinny-sounding audio on LSB---turns out that the
LSB generator crystal
> had, indeed, changed with age. A replacement crystal
brought it back to life
> in that mode...

My HW-101 has developed a problem where it looks like I'm
working "split" in CW mode.  This could very likely be due
to the CW crystal changing frequency.  (I have no means
for measuring its frequency.)  (The USB crystal seems to
be OK, at least relative to the LSB crystal.)

If I obtained a replacement, what assurance is there that
the replacement is on frequency, if they're notorious for
changing frequency?

73 de W2GERry