LMO Wabble & Lubricant

kirk kirk at 3RIVERS.NET
Tue Feb 25 11:04:29 EST 2003

http://www.twp-europe.co.uk/pages/grease.html

I think they had offices in Santa Barbara Ca. as well.
Not sure. It's been years.

Kirk
KC7THL

-----Original Message-----
From: Heathkit Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV]On Behalf Of John Q. Doe
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 3:25 AM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: LMO Wabble & Lubricant

In 1978 my SB-303 (built in 1972) developed the infamous wabble problem. The
Heath rep relayed the following to me after I whined about the prohibitive
cost of the replacment LMO.

The LMO was designed and built by TRW. Their design used a variable cap
which was lubricated with a conductive grease. The conductivity
characteristic of the grease was obtained with "SILVER FILINGS" added to the
lubricant. He gave some detail as to accessing the varaible cap but had no
source for the lubricant.

He also told me that the rear bearing of the cap was usually where the
lubricant was needed. I failed to ask why the rear of the cap was the
significant point vs the front. It may have been that both ends had dried
out, but that just lubing one end was adequate to stop the wabble.

It was made clear that the LMO was a dog to service but if one could access
the cap then it could be cleaned at the end bearings and relubed.

I did tear mine open and did find it a relatively tough item to service. I
used white lithium grease on the end bearings and mixed it with the older
grease. The old grease was very stiff but since I did not have any "SILVER
IMPREGNATED" lubricant I opted to try to blend the old with the new. That
served me well until about 3 years ago when the LMO started the wabble
again.

He was very adamant about the lube having silver and not some other
conductive element.

Hope this helps

Chuck WD4HXG

---