S meter drift

Hallidy, Dave DHallidy at MICROWAVEDATA.COM
Fri Feb 28 09:57:46 EST 2003

The "Technical Correspondence" column in the February,2003 issue of QST has
a very good article on optimizing the performance of HW-100/101's,
SB-100/101/102's and in it they deal with the S-meter drift issue.  It's
related to the (this is from memory, without the article in front of me)22K
1W resistor on the IF Board changing with heat.  I believe they recommended
changing it to a 2W resistor and that should fix the problem.  I highly
recommend this article for any owners of these radios- I went through my
SB-101 and did everything they talked about, and it plays BEAUTIFULLY!
Good luck!
Dave K2DH

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Penzo [mailto:penzo at JUNO.COM]
Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2003 8:40 PM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: S meter drift

The S meter (ALC position) on my HW 101 drifts quite a bit.  It doesn't
seem to drift only in one direction.  Sometimes it drifts high, maybe an
S3 so I'll use the zero set and bring it back to S0 only to discover that
it will soon rest below zero.

Anyone know what causes this and what I can do to fix it?
Thanks,
Mike, KT4FJ