Tan vs Gray

Ed Kotkiewicz ekotkie at EZL.COM
Thu Jan 2 20:42:07 EST 2003

Alan KB7MBI wrote:

> I have noticed some Heathkit test equipment is gray and some (same model) is
> a tan. Was there a difference in the item itself other than color?
> Alan KB7MBI

EK> Alan, what you have seen is frequently a measure of what happened when Heath
was bought out by one major company or another.  But, product improvements were
also made. Small changes but changes, none the less.  If you have a IM-11 (VTVM)
the case is blue and grey.  The IM-18 looks the same but in a tan case. One
thing that changed was the IM-18 has a three prong electrical connector, which
also caused the power transformer to be different.  The IM-11 had different
knobs over time.  A primary voltage divider diode also changed.  The alignment
procedure between the two also changed slightly.  Basically though they both
work as a VTVM.  Each product would have to be looked at closely by someone who
has put together both of them.

Hope this answers your question.

Ed
Husband of a Former Ham at Heath