HEATH Digest - 1 Jan 2003 to 2 Jan 2003 (#2003-3)

John Q. Doe wcmoore at IX.NETCOM.COM
Fri Jan 3 07:27:37 EST 2003

Hello Rob

RG-174 is very similar to what Heath shipped with their kits if not the same.
It usually has black exterior insulation. The insulation between the center
conductor and the shield is nylon and DOES MELT EASILY, just like the original
Heath coax. It can be aggravating. Practice soldering short pieces on the
bench before getting into the rig. It is easy to slip and stuff a hot iron
into the cable harness and really measle things up.

RG-316 uses Teflon for insulation and does not suffer from the melting problem
like RG-174. It is also more stiff then the RG-174. Both are about the same
size. Both are 50 ohm cables.

I looked at my rig and the black coax in it from Heath did not have a part
number on it. I personally would use the RG-174 as it is ususally black which
is the color of the coax Heath shipped with the rig. The RG-174 is available
with outer insulation in different colors, such as translucent tan, opague
white, opague orange. There may be others.

Best wishes on building the kit. Nothing compares to the thrill of hearing the
first spits and crackles from the headphones of a just built kit.

Chuck