SB-102 "Wobble"

Bob, WB2UJD BobbyTrip at AOL.COM
Sun Jan 5 21:53:35 EST 2003

Larry,

I can help with this one, had the same problem with the nice 102 I bought
about a year back.  The "wobble" as you describe it is actually erratic LMO
tuning caused by hardening of the drive gear grease within the LMO.  I took
mine apart and worked some marine grease (what I had) into the right angle
capacitor drive mechanism within the LMO.  This is no easy task since the
gear in question is practically inaccessible due to the way it is constructed
and other componenets being in the way.  Not wanting to disturb the LMO more
than I absolutely had to, I worked it in there (around a corner basically)
using a wooden shaft Q tip.  I may have also employed a little Deoxit in an
effort to soften the old grease.  You might want to work some grease into the
strange keyed washers which make up the turn limiter mechanism.  You have to
remove the LMO and take the bottom cover off to do all of this.  Be careful
as the TRW assembly is quite intricate and we don't want to break anything!!
Also, try and keep the grease used to a practical minimum and of course keep
it away from the electronic components.  Good luck and let me know how you
make out or if you have questions.

73,

Bob, WB2UJD