Plate Metering Resistor

E. Jerold Forwood e.j.forwood at JUNO.COM
Mon Jan 13 15:19:55 EST 2003

Rather than 'butchering' a type of resistor that is not the best in the
first place, why don't you try using a few carbon film resistors in
parallel or series or a combination of both until you get the right
value?
Just a thought!
73's de Jerry, KØEJF

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 10:35:38 -0500 Bernie Murphy
<bernard.murphy at SYMPATICO.CA> writes:
> If you are stuck, I have heard of taking a stock resistor that has a
> slightly higher value and then removing some of the carbon composite
> with a
> fine file (in the center of the resistor) until you obtain the
> exact
> resistance. Once that operation is completed, place some epoxy over
> the
> exposed area and let the epoxy fully cure. In your case, I would
> probably
> use a 2 watt carbon resistor since the "operation" may slightly
> lower the
> power dissipation capability of the resistor.
>
> Obviously, this procedure only works with carbon composition
> resistors and
> should only be used if you can not obtain the exact 1% replacement
> resistor!
> Have you checked with Mouser or Digikey?
>
> 73 de Bernie, VE3FWF, Ottawa, Canada

E. Jerold (Jerry) Forwood