High Voltage

Dwight D. Smith Sr. wb8jpj at ADELPHIA.NET
Fri Jan 17 08:06:40 EST 2003

One more thing about high voltage.  Follow all the advise that others have all ready given.  Next  DO NOT TRUST ANYONE ELSE!!  I am one of the lucky ones that survived contact with high voltage and lived to tell about it.  I assumed that the other person had turned off the unit before he got me to come over and check it out.  NOT SO.  I came in contact with the full output of a 20KW Output induction heating unit.  The power supply on this unit supplied 10,500 volts at 4.5 amps (not milliamps).  To this day neither one of us knows who turned the unit off after I got loose or if I was a "dummy load" long enough to trip the overload circuits.  It was from my left hand to my stomach.  Talk about fast service in the hospital emergency room, I received it that day.  I still attribute my life to the fact that it was RF and traveled over the surface of my body instead of flowing through it like low frequency or DC.  The unit received a "Dead Man's Pedal" when I got back, it would shut down as soon as you stepped away.

Dwight

WB8JPJ