Working around high voltages?

multi-volti at MULTI-VOLTI.COM multi-volti at MULTI-VOLTI.COM
Fri Jan 17 22:16:44 EST 2003

When I first started in school for a BSEE (that was an incomplete circuit
:O) a maintenance guy at 30th St Station in Phila was telling me about the
0000 gauge (4-ought) copper overhead power lines for the electric trains (11
kV). It weighed 4# per foot, and sometimes they would lean a ladder against
it to work on the lines AFTER shutting off the breakers.

Well, a would-be copper reclamation bandit thought he was smart & did the
same thing, except he didn't know they had turned the power off first. They
found a crispy critter hanging on the line in the morning.

I'll stick to empty beverage can rebates - they're not worth as much but
safer!

Murray