High Voltage

CyberGeezer cybergeezer74 at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 17 22:51:57 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dwight D. Smith Sr." <wb8jpj at ADELPHIA.NET>
> ...  I came in contact with the full output of a 20KW
Output induction heating unit.  ...

I have a story that I rarely tell--  because I myself find
it hard to believe!
    In 1953 I built a Heathkit AR-2 receiver (wish I still
had it).  It didn't want to work, and my high school
physics teacher kindly said he'd help me with it.  I was
working on it alone in the high school physics lab after
school.  The lab was laid out in three rows of tables,
about 5 tables in a row.  I was working on one of the
tables.
    The B+ supply was from a 350-0-350 center-tapped
secondary--  and I think I must have gotten across the
full 700 volts.  When I took the jolt it seemed to me that
I simply straightened up and did a quarter-turn in place.
I recall thinking "Thank God I'm still alive", and I
attempted to turn my attention back to the radio--  only I
was looking at an empty table.  All my stuff was laid out
just as before on the NEXT table--  I had to have jumped
over a table!
    You don't believe it?  I don't blame you.   As I said
at the outset, I myself find it hard to believe!

73 de W2GERry