Heath grid dip meter

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jan 22 18:58:57 EST 2003

The problem with modifying a GDO to make it solid
state is that the "dip" sensitivity is greatly reduced
from the actual grid dip of the original.  The Heath
"Tunnel Dipper" which was solid state was no where
near as good a meter as the old GD-1 series.

You have to do a fair amount of redesign to get the
oscillator circuit to work with a separate absorption
type of circuitry to show the "dip".

The tube used in the Heath GDO units is not scarce,
and the original meter does a pretty good job, so I
don't see any real need to make it solid state except
to free it up from the AC lines.

Glen, K9STH

--- Thomas Levi <Tclevi20 at AOL.COM> wrote:
> I would like to know if anyone has modified a heath
> grid dip
> meter to make it solid state help; Tom

=====
Glen, K9STH