SB-200 plate current

Greg Beat gregory.beat at ATTBI.COM
Sat Jun 14 00:10:28 EDT 2003

Jeff -

I recommend these 2 sites for SB-200 troubleshooting and
updating/upgrading for Heathkit SB-200 amplifiers.

Bob Norgard's excellent web site (with photos)
http://home.gci.net/~rnorgard/ampnotes.html

Rich Measures, AG6K
http://www.vcnet.com/~measures/

Also, check you filament voltage on the 572B (this is mention in Bob
Norgard's notes)
Too high and you shorten the life of the tubes (Eimac notes)
The 572-B tubes recommended filament voltage is 6.3 VAC +/- .3 VAC.
This means that the tubes should put out full rated power with 6.0 volts on
the filaments.

Greg
w9gb

BTW, Bob Norgard replaces the R21 and R22 with 2 watt resistors, the 1 watt
originals from Heath have a tendency to overheat. Notes on Bob's web site:

Check R21 & R22
Refer to Heath pictorial 10. Look at the two 33 ohm resistors (orange,
orange, black). I have included two new 33 ohm 2%, 2W resistors to replace
your existing ones if they are bad or out of tolerance. Measure yours. You
can measure them in the circuit. They should measure 33 ohms +/- 4 ohms. If
they read over 40 ohms, put in the new ones. One of them has a small
capacitor tacked to one of the leads, so be careful here. Also, if they look
a little off color in the middle like they have been overheated, be
suspicious of them. They are 1W resistors, the new ones are 2W, but about
the same size.