Was the D-104 a good match to an SB-101?

Randall C. Iliff riliff at COMMSPEED.NET
Sun Mar 9 18:31:05 EST 2003

Hi,

I've been trying to get my venerable SB-101 fully operational once more
after almost 10 years of storage.  There are a few idiosyncrasies I'm still
chasing, but the main question for the group is this:

Would a normally functioning D-104 crystal mic provide enough output to
drive the SB-101 if it too were functioning properly?  Right now I get lousy
SSB drive using the bare mic at full input gain, or distorted audio if I
resort to the amplifier that Astatic built into the base.  Before I go off
on a search / repair mission, it would be nice to know whether anyone has
experience using the D-104 and the SB-101 together.

(BTW- I did a search of the archives first out of courtesy and know that the
SB series needs a high-Z mic.  I also thank those who noted that AES still
sells replacement parts for the D-104 if that's what I end up needing!)

73's

Randy (KE0BN)