Was the D-104 a good match to an SB-101?

Hallidy, Dave DHallidy at MICROWAVEDATA.COM
Mon Mar 10 08:48:26 EST 2003

Hi, Randy-
The SB-101 I've just restored is using a D-104 without the preamplifier.
Works fine, the audio reports are excellent, but the mike gain DOES need to
be run up a bit- it shows the correct ALC readings at about a 3 o'clock
setting of the control.  For comparison, I also run a Turner 454X and at
times an EV628, both of which I had over the years when I had my SB-101's
and/or HW-100's.  All three get about the same reports, but the D-104 is
always reported to have the "fullest" sounding audio (I suppoes that means
the best overall frequency response)- which makes sense, since it was
tailored more for the old AM days than either the Turner (advertised as an
"SSB" mike) or the EV.
If you're not seeing the right output from the transmitter till you really
crank up the mike gain, it may be because the speech amp circuits in the
radio aren't working correctly, or possibly the carrier oscillators are far
enough off frequency that the output to the crystal filter is far enough
down the filter skirt that the output is low (and this could mess up the
frequency response, too).
Hope this helps.
Dave K2DH