TVI Question Followup

Fred Wittman wittfa19 at EARTHLINK.NET
Sat Mar 15 23:34:58 EST 2003

Boy, I can tell I posted this question to the right group!  First of all, I'm an apartment dweller, which means my station grounding is limited to what's available.  I'm also only using a transceiver running about 50-75W on 20M, but the problem occurrs on all bands.  The rig is an old Yaesu FT-902DM.  My grounding consists of a section of automotive jumper cable with the large clamp on the toilet inlet pipe and a lug soldered to the other end and attached to the grounding bolt on the chassis.  Total length about six feet.  I'm on the bottom floor, meaning that the pipe doesn't travel far to get into the apartment (I assume).  That's the best ground I can think of and still hide the station from the landlady.  The  antenna is an indoor dipole mounted on standoffs and wrapped around  the bedroom window.  The TVI occurrs on channel 6 in the video portion of the signal (aprx 85MHz).  There is TVI into 50ohms as well as with the ant.  On inspection, the RFI filters (two 56 ohm 1/2w carbon comps with coils around them) both show signs of heat but don't appear shot (still legible).  I replaced the original finals with NOS finals, same problem, I assume it's not the finals.

As far as the TV goes, it's about 9 years old, no TVI filter that I'm aware of, and I use rabbit ears. Also, the neighbors haven't complained yet, so it may just be my set, but I like to err on the side of caution. Well, I'm going to digest the suggestions so far and let you all chew on the above info.  Thanks again to a great bunch of people. 73 de KG6NYK (Fred)