Heath/Hickok/ Sine/Square wave-Hewlet Packard 400+

Gordon BAtey GPBatey at COMPUSERVE.COM
Tue Mar 25 19:39:26 EST 2003

To List Members...

I came across a Sine Square Wave Generator recently which I instantly
 (incorrectly) recognized as Heath  Upon examination it was marked as a
 Hickok Teaching Systems HTS 81.  I powered it up in order to test out
 some HP 400 Vacuum Tube VTVM's  (more bout that in a minute)
The generator light up but didn't seem to work.  I removed the two #6
sheetmetel screws in the rear of the case and removed the cover
(standard deep drawn aluminum like I have seen in many Heath Kits)
The inside looked like many of the Heath items that I have assembled
 over the years.  The power transformer had a part number stamped on
 the side.  # 54-59...It must be a Heath.  The oscillator feedback LAMP was
 loose in its socket.  but it really was open so that did not fix the
problem.
 It was a 3 Watt, 120 volt lamp.  I found a 7 watt 120 volt bulb similar to
 Christmas tree lamp and it is now oscillating.  I did not measure it but
the
size is about 10 in high, 12 in long and 10 in deep.  Handle on top.  Heath
Gray.

 I have three questions:

1.  What might the heath model number be??

2.  Is the 3 watt lamp proper or some other value??I do not know if the 3 w
was correct.

3.  Is there a schematic available??

Now for the HP Question:

A.  Is the schematic and alignment info for the HP 400 C and HP 400D
voltmeters
available on the net like the Heath items are.  Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

73 and Thanks for any help,

Gordon Batey  WA4FJC
GPBATEY at compuserve.com