610, 620 scope and PMSA query for the group

Bob, WB2UJD BobbyTrip at AOL.COM
Sat Mar 29 10:07:23 EST 2003

Someone from the list has asked for the PMSA website address.  I didn't
include the link(s) thinking it would appear as if I was hawking them.
However, since asked (and because I'll bet there are others who will be as
intrigued as I was by both of these), shameless plugs for (someone else's)
cool kit gear follow:

The Digital Frequency Displays that someone was selling one of recently can
be found at http://www.aade.com  After I missed out on the one offered via
the list, I went in search of.  Neil has a couple of really neat kits which
have me looking forward to the "heathkit days" of building my own stuff which
was of the quality of commercial gear (haven't received my stuff yet, but
pretty sure that is what we are talking).  The DFD kits (or preassembled)
come a number of ways, for Heath, for Collins, Hammarlund, etc... as well as
a universal  one.  Neil also sells a neat digital LC bridge (only $99 as a
kit!).  I bought a DFD and a bridge.

Now, about the Poor Man's Spectrum Analyzer (PMSA), that can be found at
http://www.science-workshop.com (don't forget the hyphen).  I stumbled on
that from Neil's links (I think it was, can't seem to re-find it).  This is a
bunch of pieces for purchase, some of them surplus cable convertors, a ramp
board kit, main board kit, power supply kit and others.  Pick and choose the
pieces you want to build your own spectrum analyzer (with all three
convertors can go to 2.1-something GHz!)  This approach requires an ordinary,
low frequency (basically any old) oscilloscope to display the spectrum (and
this was my thought about the SB-610, it might be a prefect basis with case,
panel, controls, display to house a complete unit matching the SB line).
This is something that at least some of the list members must have heard of
(I know I have), Murray has been at this for some time now and the concept is
"bigger and better" than ever.  Still trying to decide what pieces to buy
(want all of them) to begin this rather extensive project.

I have a Bell & Howell course o-scope (one of the ones that made up part of
the course with the big (at the time) GR-xxxx color TV's) that has blown up
more times than I care to remember.  Maybe that would be a good basis for one
of these as well.

So there is the links, let's all go and build digital frequency displays for
our Heathkits and build PMSA's to look at the bands (and their outputs!)

73,

Bob, WA2T