SB-301

Schichler, Alfred ASchichler at MICROWAVEDATA.COM
Mon Mar 31 09:13:20 EST 2003

I was wondering if it is somewhat normal for  the S-meter on the SB-301 to
read very low compared to most modern receivers. I think mine has always
read pretty low, but it seems lower than it used to be. (I have owned it for
about 5 years, but haven't used it for a couple years until recently). About
the highest it ever reads is around S-6, and that is on extremely strong
signals.
I tried experimenting with changing some resistors in the meter circuit with
almost no improvement, and also tried changing a couple of the resistors in
line with the AGC voltage which did make the meter read a little higher, but
it sounded like it was overloading slightly on very strong signals. The
meter voltage seems to be derived from the second IF tube cathode, so I'm
not exactly sure how it works, not being an expert on tube theory. Maybe I'm
being a little too fussy, but I would just like to know if it is working
pretty much the same as most of the SB-301's out there.

Thanks for any help,
Al, NE2D