[heathkit] Anybody know where to find a Heathkit 35 in 1Experimenter Set

Fred Olsen fwolsen at EXECPC.COM
Wed May 7 21:46:01 EDT 2003

Terry Perdue wrote:
> BTW - does anyone remember an experimenter's system named The Erectronic?
> Used a 1T4 tube, and had a much nicer arrangement for wiring than the
> springs that were used on most.

YES Terry, I surely do!  That would be the A.C. Gilbert "Erec-Tronic"
kits; the name being derived from the Erector sets which they also made.

For the benefit of the younger in the audience, they use a square foot
or so of 1/8" pegboard, painted blue.  All the components are on yellow
plastic bases with pegs on the bottom and are wired to cylindrical pins
on the top.  Connections between the pins are made with blue jumper
wires of varying lengths, having clips on the ends which closely
resemble a miniature version of a tube tester's cap clip ("Jiffy Clips",
they were called).

Mine used both a 1S4 and 1T4, along with coils, an air-variable, audio
transformer, relay, lamp socket, code key, and an assortment of passives
to construct radios, intercoms, and so forth.  Perforated paper template
overlays showed the circuit layouts, in both physical and schematic
form.  A D-cell for the "A" supply and a 45V "B" were needed.  There
were five or six sizes of kit, and they were high quality and truly
wonderful toys for a technokid.  Very typical of Gilbert, along with the
Erector sets and American Flyer trains, high play value with strong
learning potential.

Along with several Remco and other kits, and the Erector, and the Flyer,
mine's still intact and in the basement.

Thanks for the memories,
Fred
--
<><