Damaged During Shipping ?

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Mon May 19 00:31:50 EDT 2003

It is not only how heavy the box was, but how the
radio was packed.  Using Pelspan (styrofoam peanuts)
is NOT adequate packing.  For filler, yes, but for
primary support, NO!

The SB-303 is not that heavy and it would have taken a
pretty fair drop to do that much damage.

Was the package insured?

Primarily it is the responsibility of the person who
shipped it to make sure that the item was properly
packed.  Now, if it was properly packed and was
damaged during shipping, then it is the responsibility
of the carrier.  In this case, if the item was NOT
insured, then there it little that you can do even if
the SB-303 was properly packed.

UPS and FedEx insure a package for a minimum of $100
unless a higher amount is specified.  The USPS, on the
other hand, does not automatically insure for
anything.  If you want / need insurance on anything
sent by the Post Office then you have to pay extra.

It is my opinion that the person who sent the item
should have insured it even if he/she properly packed
the item.  I know that whenever I ship a piece of
equipment that I insure it for at least the actual
value if not a little more.  Seldom do I use the USPS
for any equipment.  For the interconnect cable kits
and other boat anchor items that I manufacture I
seldom insure when shipping by the USPS.  However,
they are extremely hard to damage and since I
manufacture them I am not out that much actual money
(just labor) if something does happen.  But, for
equipment, that is a different "animal" altogether!

Thus, I believe that the person who shipped the item
is legally responsible.  You might want to contact the
USPS customer service department to get an actual
legal interpretation of just who is liable for the
amount.

Glen, K9STH

--- George Yazzolino <Kc7hkp at TELEPORT.COM> wrote:

Question.....I just received a heathkit SB-303 that
was damaged during shipping. the cardboard box was
awful thin and to light for the job it was given. Now
who is responsible. !.

=====
Glen, K9STH

Web sites