Building Old Kits??

Malcolm Leonard radiorepair at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu May 29 10:47:12 EDT 2003

The electrolytic caapcitors have very possibly dried out.Bad electrolytics
can damage other components,so I would replace these and perhaps any tubular
capacitors as well.
The ceramic capacitors are probably fine,and unless subject to unusual
dampness any coils and transformers are probably fine also.

Resistors I would check before soldering them in place.Carbon resistors can
change in value over time.
Of course,you can ever go wrong by checking parts before you use them,in any
kit,even way back when these were factory fresh.
Have fun!
Mlacolm Leonard
----- Original Message -----
From: "pjhend at ameritech.net" <pjhend at AMERITECH.NET>
To: <HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 12:09 AM
Subject: Building Old Kits??

Hi Folks,

I'm getting ready build a few old unassembled heathkit's and other kits
from the 1960's and 1970's. I was wondering if I have to worry about the
original components degrading with time, or, should they still be ok if
never used in a circuit? Particularly, the capacitors and resistors.
Anything to worry about? Thanks for the help!
73
Paul
W9BBR