Building Old Kits??

Malcolm Leonard radiorepair at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri May 30 19:03:01 EDT 2003

I tend to automatically think in terms of test equipment;probably because I
am not a ham,but built and used most of the test gear Heath once offered.
I was trying to picture the pc board on the IM-11 VTVM crammed top and
bottom with parts and wondering how anyone could squeeze it into the cabinet
afterward.
I am not sure that all that extra weight,not to mention capacitance and
inductance is a good idea in any piece of gear,ham or not.Anyway,who the
heck is going to take the  cover off of your transmitter and
look inside to see if you used only parts that duplicate the original
appearance?
**Externally**,appearance matters beause that is where the *esthetic
cosmetics* are on any item whether it be a car a couch or a transceiver.
I don't encourage my house guests to rip the fabric off my living room sofa
to authenticate that it was rebuilt with NOS sofa stuffing,and I certainly
cannot see what lies under the fabric so...why worry about such an
impractical thing?
I restore old radios and test gear and appearnce *is* important to me
providing a human being not having Superman's x-ray vision can see it.I have
yet to encounter anybody who can see through the cabinet of a piece of
vintage electronic equipment.
Now,a piece of gear that is normally used **minus** its cabinet,is,of
course,a horse of an entirely different color and I have no quarrel with
such a piece being made to look as authentic. as possible.

Please note: Gluing extra parts to a board is **not** authentic.How could it
be when the **original** board had no such extra parts?
Malcol Leonard