8873 filament voltage

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Tue Nov 11 19:44:53 EST 2003

Having worked for a major electric company for over 10
years (until they eliminated the telecommunications
department) I can tell you that 250 volts is now
considered normal!  Many electric companies try to
maintain 125 volts +/- 1% because of all the high
current appliances these days.  Thus, 125 volts on
each side will give 250 volts.

Texas Utilities, my electric company and the company
that I worked for, is often more like 127 volts per
side, especially during warmer weather.  Since my main
shack is located about 3 feet worth of wire from the
main breaker box, I get pretty much full voltage from
the "pole pig".  On my "220" volt outlets I usually
measure at least 250 and during the summer 254 to 255
volts.

Frankly, the older equipment (like from the 1930s
through the early 1950s) is probably better off in
terms of higher line voltage since in those days the
line voltage ranged all over the place.  I have seen
numerous older units specified for 105 to 125 volts
and they work fine anywhere near that range.

As for "changing a tap" on the transformer, virtually
all "pole pigs" are preset for the distribution
voltage and the output voltage.  Distribution voltage
can range from about 7200 volts to 7800 volts with the
7800 being more common these days.  However, a few
residential distribution systems do run twice the
voltage with up to 15,600 volts being possible.  But,
at least in this part of the country, the 7800 volt
distribution voltage is much more common.

Glen, K9STH

--- Gregory S Poel <gspoel at CMSENERGY.COM> wrote:

I checked my line voltage and to my suprise it
measured 250 volts! I don't know what the acceptable
range for line voltage is, but I will be contacting
the power company this week to find out.

=====
Glen, K9STH

Web sites

http://home.comcast.net/~k9sth