SB 104A

Chuck W4MIL CEMILTON at AOL.COM
Mon Nov 24 08:42:38 EST 2003

In a message dated 11/23/03 19:55:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
aa7xx at SIPNSEARCH.COM writes:

> I am entertaining  the idea I should own a Heathkit SB 104A and all the
> accessories, except for the SB 230

Dale,

I own two SB-104's...........  The first one is the original SB-104 that was
later "upgraded" by Benton Harbor to an SB-104A.  The second is a direct from
factory SB-104A.

In addition, I've owned the matching scope, VFO, and station control console.
 These have all been sold off!  Primary reason was the amount of physical
space required to set up the entire station.  The VFO was a bit problematic, but
worked fb.  The scope and console were fine.

Both 104's continue to work just fine.  The receiver sounds a bit "pinched"
but since I like AM, almost everything else does also.  Could be my ear.  I
recently fired the 104A up and joined in with a group on 40m.  Without
solicitation, I was asked what kind of rig I was using.  Several compliments on its
sound.  And that was with the stock microphone purchased the same time as the
x-cvr.  I cannot remember if its a turner or shure, but think its one or the
other.

It's a pretty rig......... Nice, bright and large readout.  Easy to work on
(with extender board).  Finals can be pricey, but both my rigs have the
originals with full output.  Easy QRP (1watt).  Fun to use.  No frills and no
bells/whistles........  No comparison can be made with todays rigs.

Duty cycle on CW is somewhat "critical" but for SSB it will work all day
long.

I wouldn't pay a big price for one or for the accessories unless I was a
collector.  But, it can be a fun rig to display and use.

Hope some of this helps.

73 de W4MIL
Chuck