Counter calibration question

Mark Graalman WB8JKR wb8jkr at JUNO.COM
Sat Sep 13 21:40:50 EDT 2003

  Let me run this by you guys:

 I recently picked up a new frequency counter (Heath IM-2420)
and I want to calibrate the time base (10 MHz oven oscillator)
anyway, for some reason its VERY difficult to couple enough
signal from the time base to my  SX-110 to beat against WWV at 10 MHz.
I'd really like to beat WWV at 20 MHz for greater accuracy but I can't
hear the 2nd harmonic of the time base, must be a fairly clean
oscillator.

 Anyway, how do you think the calibration would be if I connected the
counter to its own time base? I know that time base inaccuracy would be
additive to the counter, but wouldn't everything be "balanced out" so to
speak if I connected the counter to its own time base and adjusted the
time base for 10.000.000 MHz?

73, Mark  WB8JKR

Support Amateur Radio, have a Ham for dinner
Member ARRL, QCWA, OTC, Society of Cable Telecommunication Engineers
WAS, WAC, WTO, DXCC MIXED, DXCC PHONE, GJDXCC, VUCC 2M, 1st place Ohio
single op 1988 ARRL  SweepStakes
Novice 3/71, General 8/72, Advanced 8/78, Extra 8/89