AR-3

Charles Seitz cseitz at ENTER.NET
Sun Apr 18 15:41:53 EDT 2004

While the AR-3 is in the spotlight I'll ask
a question.

I got my AR-3 'basicly' working last summer.
After loosening and refastening the screws at
grounding points, cleaning all the switches and
replacing an obviously bad capacitor, the thing
actually began to receive again.

I was curious about the rubber grommet shock
mounts at the main tuning condenser.  Then I
turned up the audio volume and the receiver
began to howl like a love sick wolf.  After checking
for microphonic tubes and not finding any, I guessed
the grommets are an attempt to prevent mechanical
positive feedback from the speaker to the tuning
condenser.

The question:

If I put in the time and labor to replace the old
hardened grommets with fresh new ones, will the
problem be fixed?

                             ---  CHAS  WA2DYA