HW-16 and HG-10B problem

Lynn Simons simo5333 at BELLSOUTH.NET
Tue Apr 20 21:40:21 EDT 2004

Hey guys,

I have recently gotten a HW-16 and a HG-10B VFO. When I used them I have a high pitch tone  in the earphones when I turn the VFO to "operate" position. This is quite loud and annoying. Everything else seems to work fine. This tone is not affected by the volume control at all. When I put the VFO into the "spot" mode it does just fine and I can hear the "spot" frequency fine. I have made contacts with this set up without problems. I just turn the VFO to the standby mode when I am receiving and just remove my headphones when I am transmitting.

I first thought the problem was in the VFO since it only occured when I turned the VFO to the "operate" mode. So I double and triple checked the wiring of the VFO and everything seems correct. I then located another HG-10B and tried it. I got the exact same results so now I think it may be a problem with the HW-16.

I was wondering if anyone out there has every had this problem? Wondering if this is a common thing?  I had a HW-16 and a HG-10B when I first got my license in 1972 and I don't recall this kind of thing happening then. But I could be wrong.

Any ideas????

Thanks and 73's

Lynn,  KJ3V