GB> Heathkit's first radio - article on K-1 now available

Deane McIntyre dmcintyr at UCALGARY.CA
Thu Apr 29 23:45:27 EDT 2004

Deane McIntyre wrote:

> On 27-Apr-04, at 8:52 AM, Richard Post wrote:
>
> > Came across the Heath full-page ad in a 1948 Radio-News magazine. Saw
> > an entry for their three tube regenerative receiver.  Was available in
> > two versions. The AC version was three tubes including a rectifier
> > (and power transformer. No AC-DC stuff from Heath!). The other version
> > was battery operated and two tubes.  Batteries also available from
> > Heath. Showed a small pic of front panel with chassis. I assume the
> > cabinet was available later as a separate purchase. Front panel was
> > drilled with circular pattern of holes for speaker sound. Cosmetic
> > appearance similar to their first generation test equipment such as a
> > signal generator.
> >
> > Should be easy enough to clone the front panel. Anyone have one of
> > these?  Maybe provide a good image of the front panel and layout?
> >

> The ninth edition of the Collins Radio Amateur's Handbook has a
> detailed description of the AC
> version of this radio, the model K-1 All Wave Beginner's Radio.
> Included are the pictoral diagrams, parts list, schematic as well as a
> good quality photo. Tubes used were two 12A6 (one with grids and plate
> strapped together to serve as the rectifer) and one 12C8 (detector).
>
> Will scan if anyone is interested.

I have now scanned this section of the book and have placed it on
my website as a PDF file (1.0 MB, 4 pages plus a high quality scan of the
photo). I am also sending this to the Heath list in case anyone over there
is intesested.

http://deane.bio.ucalgary.ca/K-1.pdf

The only detail lacking is the winding of the coils - these were prewound
by Heath.