Electrolytics and Old Caps

mike k kmikeheath at YAHOO.COM
Mon Aug 2 10:49:22 EDT 2004

Check out the specs for electrolytics - as rated in
hours...  read them in the specs printed in Digikey
and Mouser electronics catalogs, easy to obtain.  5000
hours running continuously is less than a year!  and
typical is 3000 hours...  and caps age (although
differently) with power off.

I met a guy years ago that refurbished old high-end
home audio equipment.  BEFORE ANYTHING, even power up
and test, he clipped out ALL the caps and replaced
them.  not just electrolytics either.

Older electrolytics were probably rated much LESS than
our new caps.  So I doubt equipment with 30 year old
electrolytics is running perfectly.  I suspect you
would actually experience improved performance if old
caps are replaced.  (power supply levels and
regulation especially would improve.)

Mike
W2MK

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail