Receiver for VHF-1 Seneca?

Mark Sykes mark at MARKSYKES.NET
Tue Aug 24 08:39:16 EDT 2004

If you have the Seneca 2- and 6-meter AM/CW transmitter and you can't locate XC-2 and XC-6 converters to use with your Mohawk, what receiver do you then use?  Heathkit sold the XC-n converters for a single year; what did they anticipate Seneca users would be listening on?

I've thought of three purely Heathkit options:

1.  Search the world for a set of XC-2/XC-6 converters.  Slow, but that lets me use the matching Mohawk with the Seneca.

2.  Use an HW-20 transciever as a 2-meter AM/CW receiver (and an HW-10 for 6) with the Seneca.  Same style as the Seneca but a less 'integrated' than the XC/Mohawk setup; however, more knobs and boxes to admire.

3.  Use an SB-301 with the SB-300-4 and SB-300-3 2- and 6-meter converters and an AM crystal filter (happen to have this setup!).  Also works but the styles and periods don't match.

BTW, I'm looking for a working Seneca as well as the XC-2 and XC-6 converters.  Just got my Mohawk and Apache last evening; still in the honeymoon phase. :)

Mark
KD8RG