Fw: Oscilloscope Recommendations

Malcolm Leonard radiorepair at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri Aug 27 13:19:58 EDT 2004

Oh boy!As a lover of tubed,kit built,relatively low priced vintage test gear
and a Heathkit fan to boot,I can't help feeling that I ought to speak up in
behalf of Heathkit and kit built scopes in general.
So far,everybody has tried to discourage the poster from getting a Heath
scope.
Look,Teks are very well made but I had one that literally took two good men
to lift up and place on the bench.
In some cases you will need to purchase a separate cart or reinforce an
existing bench or shelf to support one of these monsters.

Furthermore,the Tek internal ceramic parts supports requiring the use of
silver solder are not funsville to service for the average hobbyist.

And maybe the guy posting this has a feeling for the nostalgic value of old
Benton Harbor stuff.

Furthermore,thousands of service shops happily used Heath scopes and made
lots of money with them for many years.

For servicing *digital*equipment will a Heath scope do?No,of course not.But
for general,vacuum tub era servicing Heath scopes are fine.I'd choose a
later model,perhaps to get the advantages of changes and improvements but
unless you are designing rockets to the moon or doing digital work on a
serious basis
Heath scopes wiil still serve as they did for so many years.
Malcolm