Oscilloscope Recommendations:Caution

john johnmb at NC.RR.COM
Sat Aug 28 14:52:45 EDT 2004

K5DLE said:

>> I have read a bunch of replys to your post. NO BODY paid any
>> attention
>> to what you
>> said you wanted to do with the scope.

(snip)

>> Most of the replies said you need to get a 100 to 200 Mhz scope.
>> BOLDERDASH!!!
================================
Years ago, it would be good advice to tell someone to get a 10Mhz hobby
grade scope, as it was the best value for the dollar... professional grade
scopes were very expensive.

That's changed, however.

These days it's false economy to spend $50 on a low budget "hobby" scope,
of marginal accuracy and quality, when for $100-150 you can have a
professional quality Tek 465 that will likely serve you well for the rest
of your life

It's kind of like being faced with buying a Kmart ratchet wrench for $5,
or a Craftsman or SnapOn for $10.  Yes, one's cheaper, but.......

John K5MO