Oscilloscope Recommendations:Caution

Don Peterson Don at D8APRO.COM
Sat Aug 28 16:36:25 EDT 2004

I am a Heathkit collector and I have had to make adjustments for about 50%
of all of the oscilloscopes that I have shipped to buyers.  It seems that
these really don't ship very well.  I always use plastic bubble wrap, and
ship in a box that can contain at least 3" of foam peanuts on all sides.
In the majority of the cases, there is damage to the internal elements of
the CRT.  This seems to come from excessive handling during shipping, even
though there was no apparent damage to the box.  This has been such a
problem, that I no longer consider selling (and shipping) any
oscilloscopes.

I will still sell them as a "pick-up" item and have had no problems.  I am
very particular to make certain that I state the proper condition of items
when I sell them.

I find that selling (and shipping) an oscilloscope only causes me problems,
and is too much of a risk to my reputation as a seller.

So there are really two sides to this problem.

Don

DataPro

>One word of caution -  I've ordered over a hundred ham and antique radio
items on ebay with almost no problems whatsoever, HOWEVER, of the 4
O-scopes I bought, 2 Heath scopes and 2 Tek scopes - ALL had major
problems. One Heath and one tek arrived completely DOA. The other Tek only
had 1 channel functioning, and the other Heath only worked marginally. I've
talked to many hams who had similar experiences w/ this particular piece of
test equipment, having purchased them on e-bay or at a hamfest from an
0-Scope dealer.