Bypass use on 2060A tuner....

Michael Melland, W9WIS w9wis at CHARTER.NET
Mon Feb 23 16:07:30 EST 2004

This past summer I purchased a 2060A tuner and I simply love it.. sold my
AT-1000 auto tuner.  I had collected some emails from people on the list
that sent me advice for using the "bypass" position to actually bypass the
tuner and send direct from rig to antenna on bands where the tuner wasn't
needed.  Some involved internal modification and others sent me a suggestion
to simply use a "T" connector.  I had a computer crash and lost the emails.
I had a day off today and have been moving things around in the shack and
finally had the tuner out of the loop while doing so.

Here is what I did..... I made a small coax jumper out of double shielded
RG8X coax with PL-259's on each end (about 5-6" long).  I placed an Amphenol
"T" on the "coax one" output and ran the jumper from the "bypass" output to
one side of the "T".  The other side of the "T" connects to the coax to the
antenna.

Now the bypass position on the antenna switch feeds into the antenna coax
via the "T" after the tuner on the coax one output.  So far all seems to
work well with the bypass direct to antenna and coax one position as normal
through the tuner.  I also run an amplifier (capable of 1500 watts) every so
often.

Does this sound correct.... I think it's what some of the guys suggested to
me earlier.... I know one person that suggested this solution said he was
also running an amplifier and never had any issues.

Does this sound correct to those of you with this tuner ?  I was looking for
a solution that would work and that I wouldn't have to modify the tuner....

Mike W9WIS

--
Michael Melland, W9WIS
Winneconne, WI USA