[Heathkit] Need info on SB-220

Thomas Beltran tbeltran at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Jan 1 14:17:49 EST 2004

> The SB-220 is a fine amplifier.  With new capacitors and the rectifier
board
> it will provide years of trouble free service.
>
> Happy New Year
> Jim

I use an SB-220 with my Mark V, using the soft-key module - it works great!
I think the SB-220 is one of the best deals around.  One of the Mark V
features is the Class A mode, with an output of 75 watts - this drives my
220 to full power, even on 17 and 12 meters.  I'll be ordering the capacitor
bank, plus other stuff (I'm glad to see the page is up and running again) -
just missed a possible disaster.  I was operating the linear and smelled
something like hot metal - sort of like an oven or iron.  I immedately shut
of the amp, and when I looked inside, one of the capacitors was oozing brown
paste, and the plastic block that holds the caps was slightly melted at that
capacitor.  Tom W6EIJ