SB-200/220 Question

JBA ballen at NA800.NET
Fri Jan 2 15:40:19 EST 2004

Well Fred, you're trying to compare apples and oranges here.

The SB-200 came out around 1964 or so and is a 600 Watt CW/1200 Watt PEP
amplifier running a pair of 572B tubes. Good amp, easily adaptable to work
with modern radios via Harbach's inexpensive softkey kit. I have one here
that still has maximum output on the original 572B tubes after 30 years!

The SB-220 hit the market around 1970 or so and is a 1000 Watt CW/2000 Watt
PEP amplifier running a pair of 3-500Z. Again, it's a very good, solid
performer and it too is easily modified to operate with modern radios. There
are a good many mods out there for both amps to help bring them up to modern
standards.

A couple of good sites for information on mods for these amps are:

http://www.somis.org/

http://www.palacenet.net/home/mules/hamradio.html

http://home.gci.net/~rnorgard/ampnotes.html

http://www.harbachelectronics.com/