Challenging HW-12

Stephen Tetorka StephenTetorka at CS.COM
Sun Jan 18 15:20:21 EST 2004

Hi All:

Please recall my mentioning that I'm trying to bring an HW-12 ( 80 meter SSB
transceiver )  back to proper working order.  And I thank you all for helping
me.

Up till now, I had be very challenged getting the proper wattage level in
Tune...I say "had" because I finally got it ' working ' in Tune...but in a rather
peculiar way.....let me explain....

I was in the process of testing the mica capacitors in the output network.
There had been no indication of shorts...and I had to eliminate open/leaking
ones...so I purchased some new silver micas to parallel-patch into the circuit
without removing the existing mica....so I used a pair of test leads with
alligator clips holding the new mica..easy enough.

I chose one cap...its just before the Final Tune (which is adjusted for peak
output)....and BAM...the output jumped up and pinned the Forward on my SWR
meter...( Reflected didn't move )...Great.

Did it again...and BAM...output went up again...just like it should in Tune.

Was this capacitor bad.....

NO!

Dig this....as I was moving the probe lead WIRE over the exposed tubes....one
lead wire TOUCHED the glass envelope of the VFO Hetrodyne Osc. Mixer tube...
THIS wire contact caused my output power level to jump up.

Yes!  I then took just ONE lead wire - touched the PC board mica connection
of the same output capacitor....let that one wire lead TOUCH the glass envelope
and BAM!...up goes my output level!!

Curiously, I tried this ' one wire contact method ' with other tubes...only
the VFO Mixer and the RF Amp tubes caused my output level to jump up .... just
as if the rig was working properly.

Now...I can keep this 'creative' fix...or...detemine what the heck in going
on here.

Your generous comments are surely welcome.

Thank you,
Steve

WA2TAK