Price setting

Alan KB7MBI ARDUJENSKI at AOL.COM
Wed Jan 21 11:01:00 EST 2004

I sometimes find it almost humorous when someone queries a list to ask HOW
MUCH SHOULD I CHARGE YOU FOR MY RADIO. In recent posts there have been good
suggestions for folks to be able to find the BLUEBOOK value. But one of the things
I miss are the old days that folks would put a value on the radio based upon
its intrinsic value. In days gone by folks were happy to get GARAGE SALE
PRICING for their old equipment. Today you are seeing top dollar prices, advertised
with dark or distorted pictures, and many of the radios are rated at a 9+ but
when you get it in the mail find out that it must have been rated on a scale
of 100 (smile).

Also it is rather amazing the number of folks that are on lists today that
have never heard of GOOGLE. Besides the standard GOOGLE search, if you click on
one of the tabs that says GROUPS you will get LIST postings and prices asked
over the past few years.

I wonder also if there are any folks that visit AC6V site and look under BOAT
ANCHORS or USED GEAR?

Also when buying a radio the same is true. How much you are willing to pay
for a piece of nostalgia should depend upon what is it worth to you not some
schmuck that paid $4000 for a rusted SX-88 (grin). But in that case that is what
it was worth to that gentleman.

Probably the biggest eye opener too was the fella that bought a console radio
(antique) on ebay for $25 plus shipping and packing. He learned after the
winning bid that the packing charge was $150 plus the shipping cost.

I wonder how many buy radios that when they arrive find out that several caps
have gone bad enroute along with misalignment and broken dial strings and a
few bad tubes? And those are the 9-10 rated radios.

Not sure if we will ever return to common sense in selling radios but it was
nice while it lasted

Alan KB7MBI in Woodinville, WA
FISTS 5702 / ARS / Proud member of ARRL