SB-303

Darwin D. Geiselbrecht GeiselD at AOL.COM
Fri Jul 2 09:21:03 EDT 2004

In a message dated 7/2/2004 5:54:49 AM Central Daylight Time,
Fitzpenne at AOL.COM writes:

> How do the Hams who have the SB=303 like their performance, i am thinking
> about getting one and don,t know whether to get one or the SB-301.
> Dave k4nwt

I have both.

The 303 is very stable and sensitive, with less warm up drift, although that
is very low on either unit.  It seems somewhat "hotter" on 10 meters than the
301. It does not have a noise clipper like the 301. The bandwidth of the two
units are the same, as they use the same filters.  The 303 is reputed to suffer
from overload problems, although this does not show up in my rural location.
The 303 requires a set of extender cards to work on it.  The function switch
shaft extends through the cards which makes it a bit of nuisance to align the
switch sections when using the extender cards. The 301 is a better physical
match to the 401.

With the exception of the dial lights, the 303 does not glow in the dark and
will not keep you warm on a cold winter's night.

Both are nice receivers. If I had to only have one, it would be the SB-301.

If you do wind up with a 303, note that the vfo output must be loaded with 50
ohm resistor (in a phono plug) if you are not using it transceive.
Otherwise, the vfo goes squirrelly over part of the range.  I believe this is covered
in the manual.

BTW - A picture of my heath desk is located at
http://www.k5doa.net/Boatanchor/K5DOA/Heaths.html
you can see the 303 is currently in service there, but that changes from time
to time.

73 Darwin - K5DOA
www.k5doa.net