Weller soldering station

G. Beat gregory.beat at COMCAST.NET
Sat Jul 10 11:18:24 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "L & M Wieweck" <lwieweck at COCSD.K12.AZ.US>
To: <HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>
Sent: Saturday, July 10, 2004 7:54 AM
Subject: Weller soldering station

Does anyone have or can they direct me to where to get a soldering iron for
a Weller WTCPL soldering station?
I have the base unit, but need the actual soldering iron and cord to connect
to the base unit.

Thanks, Lee wa7exl
-------------------------

Lee -

I do refurbish and repair the original Weller WTCP and WTCPL soldering
stations.

The Weller PU-1 style base used in the WTCP and WTCPL soldering stations was
commercially discontinued in 1976 -
when the WTCPN model was introduced .
The WTCPN model was discontinued around 1983/1984 --- when the WTCPS model
was introduced.

The US government & military placed their last orders for the PU-1 base
style (WTCPL model) in 1976 / 1977.
These units have appeared in through military and commercial surplus for the
past 7 years.

I keep a supply of new and NOS parts available - as well as original
documentation and Tech Notes.
I am currently refurbishing 5 WTCP & WTCPL stations with NOS parts (just
like new).

There were 2 major styles of irons for the Weller TCP series - the early
handle style used a "wired-in" heater ("TC-208" heater still available from
Weller) OR the current handle style that uses the "plug-in" (EC-234)
heater -- which is used on the Weller TC-201P, TC201T irons as well as the
EC1201A soldering iron.

You can use any of the TCP soldering irons (e.g. TCP-1; TC-201; TC-201P;
TC-201T) with the WTCPL base, BUT you need to remove the 3 pin plug from the
newer TC-201 style irons.   I also place a 2 amp fuse in-line (inside the
PU-1 base) between the iron and the 24 volt transformer for heater short
protection (Weller added this change to the WTCPN base units).

I have three original TCP-1 style irons (wired in heater) -- that I have yet
to refurbish -- that would work for you.
Let me know what you need, or how I can help.

Greg
w9gb