Trials & cussssin

Stephen Tetorka StephenTetorka at CS.COM
Sun Jul 25 19:32:42 EDT 2004

Hello All:

Thought I'd share this with the community...

I'm restoring a DX100...and until this evening, thought I was close to being
operational...got 100 watts outs except for 10...got only 50 there.

Thanks to Brian - W0DZ, whose fine QST article was inspiration for me to do
this project...I was able to get 15 squared away with his generous help calling
out the fact that separating the 10/15 coil would boost the drive...it did
wonders on 15.. but 10's drive is only 2.5 ma...instead of 5.

Soooo...with CW working for the most part...time to try the mike!

I got my beautiful chromed Astatic 10DA and ...using alligator clips...hooked
it to the mike plug.

Now...being in tuned up and in "Phone"...and moving the mike leads...they
shorted.
One 1625 flashed...the fuse blew...but not before BLOWING out both high
voltage filter caps.!!!

Two hours later, I had them replaced...and all is working ( apparently ) OK.

BUT...before I try the mike again...thought I'd ask: why such a
catrostophie??

You know darn well, I'm going to put a meter on the phone plug & ground to
check for voltage...wonder what I'll find.

But really...this surprises the hell out of me... I've stopped cussin...and
now that I'm having my favorite beverage... let's me appreicate the trials &
fun in getting a boatanchor crusing again!!  It will!

Your comments & considerate thougths are appreciated.

73 & keep them glowing...
Steve
WA2TAK