HG-10B VFO & DX-60B Operating Question

Goss, Ed Ed.Goss at JHUAPL.EDU
Mon Jul 26 13:14:18 EDT 2004

Hello,
     After setting up my DX-60B transmitter and VFO, VFO appears to be
controlling frequency and transmitter power output is normal.  However, the
VFO "Spot" signal is so weak that it's unusable.  The Heath design
apparently also requires you to put the transmitter into "Tune" position to
give the VFO its B+ voltage, so in order to spot you have to turn two
different knobs.
     Does anyone remember any mods or suggested operating shortcuts to help
the operator "spotting?"  I suppose I could install a foot switch to switch
from a dummy load to the real antenna, so I could spot by just hitting the
key and transmitting into the dummy load (then depress the foot switch to
transmit), but that seems like a waste of power.  How strong should the
VFO's spot signal be?
--Ed G--